Friday, August 17, 2012

Most popular blog post of all time

 

***will get back to the story in a day or two. this is just a quick breather***

 

I was looking for ideas for Girls’ Camp a few days ago and ran across a photo on Pinterest and clicked through to see how to make the cute glass lantern and it took me awhile to realize it was Jonah’s sister Shawni’s photo from her blog, 71toes.blogspot.com. She’s so awesome. Jonah and I laughed that we should make her a bumpersticker that says, “Famous on Pinterest too”.

It made me wonder what was our blog’s most read post of all time. I do NOT want this to be a hugely popular blog, or even a popular blog or even for it to be read by more than you 12 people who are reading it right now, so don’t get me wrong. The main reason for the blog’s existence is so we have this record (back to 2006) of journal-type entries and photos. The next reason is that it can be so easily shared with my mom so that our phone conversations are only three hours instead of four (not saying that I don’t love talking to you mom… just have limited battery)). And then, of course, I love to share it rest of you (don’t feel bad that you are second to my mom. She’s pretty amazing).

And yet, while I don’t strive to reach out to the general public, I do still get a kick out of what blog titles arouse people’s interest enough that they click through to intsnotacompetition (which usually happens because of references by Jonah’s parents or equally famous sisters in their newspaper articles or blog posts). So, here are the top five posts from this blog:

 

Don't Laugh, It's Paid For...

Dec 11, 2010

I understand why this is at the top of the list. I wrote this the day before Po was born and it was a long time coming We had been receiving some peculiar comments on the blog and on Jonah’s sisters’ blogs about what slackers we were and how we needed to shape up and stop being such hippies. Um. Yeah….     So we wrote this in response and I must have been on a mental high from the pre-labor because I still surprise myself with the efficient writing. I hadn’t read it since I wrote it nearly two years ago, but it still rings true.

 

November

Dec 11, 2009

Number two on the list because the number one blog post refers to it a couple times. It had photos of the farm house pre-remodeling.

 

You for swimming?

May 4, 2012

Not interesting or cool, but I think I posted it on a day that Shawni posted on her blog, which shot me to the top of her blog’s blog list. (Aren’t you glad they are called blogs? blaaaaawwwwwwgggghghgh. Say it. Now. Out loud.)

 

Victoria!

Jun 18, 2012

Dang! I should have done a better job with this one! The photos and writing were terrible. But, Victoria is a cool place… Maybe Victoria should give me a commission.

 

Need a Summer Vacation in Hawaii?

Mar 17, 2012

Totally understand why this caught people’s attention. Would title all my blogs like this if I wanted to get popular.

 

Okay. That was fun. Oh, and if you were wondering, I think my favorite post is probably this one.

http://itsnotacompetition.blogspot.com/2010/12/baby-fest-2010.html

Awwwwwwwwww! Not popular with the wide public, but I’d take loads of babies anytime, anywhere… can’t help but love you some babies.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Hey every single post is "the world's most popular" right at that moment. How we love following you and being able to share your idiosyncratic lives with so many people who need a wake up call!

Love all these posts. Thanks for the heads up on Shawni's Pintrest post. We had no idea!

Jonah and Aja said...

how?

Anonymous said...

I found your blog trough Shawni's and read through the whole thing in one day.
I love the reality of how you live your life. It isn't for everybody but it is such a neat way to live. Thanks for sharing your adventours here.

-Jasmin from Germany

Tena said...

I loved your most popular post. It gives me hope for the world to see a family who cares so much about spending time with their children while they are young. I love your creativity and your sense of humor. I'm surprised your post about the demise of Ponyo isn't on this list. We raise chickens and that one really amused me. Sorry Ponyo didn't live longer, but he sure lived large for a chicken.