Friday, May 4, 2012

You for swimming?

Our friend Cassie said she needed some encouragement to put her kids on the swim team. All I can say is that soccer is the more popular sport among most of our friends, but while their kids come home from practice sweaty and dirty, my kids come home completely bleachy squeaky clean. Plus, although swim meets go on year round, they are not every single Saturday--only once or twice a month. I also really like how our club has it set up: you pay one monthly fee and the kids can go as often as they like, even every day. So, I make them go every day. I don't mind driving them the 6 minutes over there because I can either choose to stay and take the younger girls to the park for 90 minutes, or I can head back home and start dinner before I have to come back and get them. But, we also don't have a problem missing practice once and awhile since there are 20 practices a month.

Plus, I feel like it's a life long skill. And injuries are rare. And you are mainly racing against your own scores. The uniforms are simple. The kids have stopped begging me to take them swimming every day.And it is a fantastic workout every time. And I feel like I've made them safer by helping them become really great swimmers.

Just do it. Clean children every day? What's not to love? I just wish Po could go...

Ana is the swimmer in Lane 4, the only one who doesn't start up on the block (she was afraid her goggles were going to come off). 

4 comments:

Cassie said...

Hey, thanks! Is it weird that I held my breath the whole time I watched the video? (Thanks for being a fast swimmer Ana...) OK, I'm convinced--clean kids is pretty ideal. I'll have to start looking into clubs around here--after I get over that little hurtle of birthing a baby.

Even Elsie is in swim team?!

Trina said...

I find it weird that I read your blog but don't know you - I think this is normal in the blog world?? Anyhow, I love your adventurous spirit...so cool. We haven't made it to Hawaii yet but love reading about it from your viewpoint. Your blogs are fun to read - thanks.

Linda said...

AWESOME~ EYREE TOUCHING FIRST! YEAH ANA!

sonna said...

I held my breath too! Go ANA!! Mermaniston!?
Ruthie says "you are the best swimmer. you make we flutter and you make me fly. ladybug ladybug flyaway home. your house is on fire your kids are alone. the end"