Thursday, September 19, 2013

You Guessed It-- "Leaving Las Vegas"

But, one more Vegas attraction before we go. Some time ago, Sonna and Sloan happened upon a great little spot called the Nelson Ghost Town. I've lived in the Vegas-area for about 20 years total, and I somehow never knew about this little gem. We got some great photos that I wish I could share here, but my memory card got corrupted and we're lucky to have these few (for real... and the memory card failure happened a year to the day after the New Harmony fire! We need to avoid June 27th next year).

Our old friends from when we lived in Vegas right after Ana's birth met up with us out in Nelson, and Ana and Taylor tried to recreate some of the photos we have of when they were toddlers. 
They also have three boys younger than Taylor, so Cam enjoys when we all get together, and I'm sure Taylor enjoys the change of mostly girls in our family. 
They were just the cutest little buddies back in the day. I can't find my copy of this photo that they are trying to recreate, but here's another one from a playdate back when they were 18 months. 
(The little boy in the back did not visit Nelson Ghost Town with us.)


The views of the Colorado River canyon below Hoover Dam were stunning. 
Desert colors are sublime. 

Leaving Las Vegas
 Once again, however, our visit had to come to an end and we started another adventure. 
This adventure was our one surprise adventure for the summer... at the last minute, Jonah's old friend Spencer happened to invite us to his in-laws house boat on Lake Powell for the weekend. He just happened to be heading up with his family on the weekend we were supposed to be in Saint George anyway and invited us to come along! Wahoo! We made the hard decision of skipping a trip to Saint George this year in lieu of this rare chance to hang on a houseboat. Jonah's family had spent many a vacations down on houseboats, and even my own mom did a Girls' Camp houseboat trip one year while I was up on Blakely working (grrrr... should have flown back for that one...), but I had never gone. I'd driven by Lake Powell many times and always wanted to go, and was so excited to finally do it!

So we left at 4 am to beat the heat and the traffic and set out towards the sunrise on our well-known I-15 road to Southern Utah. We stopped in Saint George long enough to fill up with veggie oil at In-n-Out and we were on our way to the lake.

Get your rest now, little beauties!

No comments: