Sunday, October 31, 2010

October is OCTAWSOME!

I think no matter where you live, October always has the best weather (well, except maybe the Northeast... but I think I had one good October when I lived there)!
We really packed it in in anticipation of the predicted freezing winter and the baby coming sometime in December. Of course, I should have taken more photos, but that's always the case.

During the second week of October, I got to fly down to Orange County for my cousin Justin's wedding in Laguna Beach. He's actually my dad's cousin, but he's younger than me so he's pretty much my cousin the most. It was a beautiful wedding! Wow!! It was great to see my dad's side of the family, too, and dance it all crazy-like with my 95-year-old great grandma and cousins and siblings (both Sonna AND Tyler were there...). Unfortunately, I left the camera here in Washington with Jonah and the kids, so I only got a few blurry iPhone photos.

I also got to stay at my mom's house in Coto de Caza for the week I was gone and we did fun stuff like go to the beach every day and go to Disneyland without my kids. (But Sonna and her two kids were there, so it was still legit. ) The BEST part of the whole trip, I have to say, was finally meeting my 6-week-old nephew Gabriel Sloan Robison. He is the cutest baby EVERRRRRRR. I got to hold him for 680 hours, so that was good. I think I'm his favorite aunt. Sonna and Sloan blessed him in my mom's ward, so we got to have all sorts of So. Cal. friends and family there from both my mom and dad's side of the family. AWESOME. I love packing all that family love into one trip.

One the way home, I flew into San Francisco for a day with Jonah's rockin' sister Charity, and we had a great time checking out a nude beach and wandering around Sausalito. We spent the night at Jonah's cousins' house in Fremont and I picked up a Mercedes station wagon Jonah had bought in September and had his cousin store at his house. I sadly left Charity early the next morning and drove the 15 hours back up here to Washington. On the way back, I picked up Mr. Turkey in Redding, California, and he sat in the back of the wagon and didn't make a peep or gobble. All the people at the rest stops made a lot of ruckus, but the bird was a nice quiet travelling companion. He's also very enlightened, since we listened to "To Kill a Mockingbird" on the way up.

So, the week after I got back, we had a fun time "putting the lambs in the freezer", doing some house projects, celebrating my 29th birthday, and going to the annual Heintz Farm Berry Battle. Here are some photos:

October 2010
Mr. Turkey, without his tail fanned. He's very tame and friendly, but does spend most of his time strutting around and wasting energy. But, this is his last month on earth, so we just let him do what he wants.

October 2010
My mom sent home a volcano kit to my science-crazy kids and they "laughed their heads off" erupting their volcano about 25 times!
October 2010


October 2010
Jonah as usual went way-overboard for my birthday, lavishing me with all sorts of gifts and attention all day. He made the most amazing dinner: grilled leg of lamb with roasted potatoes and homemade apple pie for dessert. Everything from the whole meal came from our land or garden, except the sugar and pie crust ingredients, of course! Jonah is awesome! It was a fantastic birthday. Thanks to everyone who called or emailed!

October 2010
A couple days after my birthday, we went to the Heintz Berry Farm annual "Berry Battle", where they play capture the flag in the berry orchards and we get to throw all the old berries at each other. I didn't participate this year because I knew with my big belly I'd just be a "sitting duck" for a berry face smash, but the kids and Jonah had a fantastic time while I took photos.
October 2010
I took a lot of photos of Elsie before the battle thinking she'd be covered in berries afterwards, but she actually stayed pretty clean.

October 2010
Probably because she spent most of her time holding Gucci the dog instead of in the berry patch.

October 2010

October 2010

October 2010

October 2010
Here's some of the crew at the end of the BATTLE.


October 2010
Last Sunday the kids in primary went crazy over Elsie's outfit and called her Gingerbread Girl. And boy-oh-boy did she love the attention. She deserves it though... she is a pretty good girl.
October 2010

3 comments:

brittanimae said...

So fun! Happy 29th Aja! :) The costumes, the food, all the adventures--you sure keep it rocking up there in Sequim!

Shawni said...

Oh man I love to get updates from you guys! Love you!

Linda said...

What I want to know is if the turkey ever figured out that "To Kill a Mockingbird" was soon going to translate into "To Kill a Turkey?"

GREAT pics!