Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Elsie is Six?!

Out of the frying pan, and into the fire! From Christmas, we go right into two January birthdays back to back. Will the celebrations ever end?! 
(I lament, but there are actually no more than three days in January that do not have a birthday of either Jonah's family or my extended family. Whoa! Springtime...  But we love all you January-borns)

Well, it is hard to believe that little bobbly-head baby Elsie is actually six! Even after a few months, I still forget that she isn't five. Elsie may be perennially five though. She still fits all the descriptions and personality of a five year old... except that she can read and skip now... so I may have her in my mind as a five year old forever. 


On her actual birthday, she got to go to ballet class, which is one of her favorite things in the world. 





Then we had noodles for dinner and a chocolate "mermaid" cake. She was as pleased as could be. 




Elsie elected to have a birthday party this year (we give them a choice-- birthday party or adventure/trip with a parent or the family), and she was very specific about what she wanted to do: go to the Maui Ocean Center aquarium with her best friend Sophie and her siblings, with both she and Sophie wearing mermaid costumes, with Elsie wearing a crown. Sophie's mom was so nice and actually made Sophie a mermaid costume just for the occasion. (Elsie has three or four, so she just chose the one that was the most comfortable). 





You would think with all the incredible snorkeling and diving around her that the aquarium would be a let down, but it was actually really cool! I learned a ton and only wish I had been there without kids so I could have taken my time and read all the information and more slowly watched all of the fish. Maybe I'll take myself there on a date one of these days...






Happy Birthday Elsie!



2 comments:

Linda said...

That sweet little bobble head has turned into a mermaid AND a fairy. What a world she lives in! Hugs to cute Elsie!

Jonah and Aja said...

take me to the dumb ocean centre too. i'll go just to be with you.