Friday, September 10, 2010

Hurricane Ridge

I think this is my last post of the night. Eventually I'll get to blogging about September and the first days of school, but for now, this plethora of blog posts will have to do. I didn't do any proofreading and the writing is sparse, so just enjoy the photos and don't ask for anything else, okay?!
Luckily I took a nap today JUST so I could stay up and blog... but still, man! being pregnant at my age is really whipping my booty. Plus, now that the kids started school and Elsie has recurring nightmares about airplane bathrooms, I just can't get my 11 hours of beauty rest in. Freakness!

Anyway, sometime in August, ...I can't really remember when... we had an exceptionally clear day so we drove an hour up to the top of Hurricane Ridge to take a gander at the Olympic Mountains and to peer over Victoria into Canada. The alpine meadows up there are like a scene from the Sound of Music... and you seriously want to sing it is so GORGEOUS.
The kids are always up for a hike, but they were doubly happy with how awesome it is up there... plus the NPS has a great little Alpine visitors center and lots of intertwined trails to explore.. so it ended up being a fantastic trip. We really love being so close to all of these fabulous hikes, vistas and adventures. Wow.

Hurricane Ridge
Elsie kept saying, "Whew! This is hard. I LOVE hiking!" She especially loves her little Camelback she got for Christmas last year and she carries all her own water and snacks.

Hurricane Ridge
But, she also has her naughty periods... they are getting more and more frequent.

Hurricane Ridge
I guess this is her Sound of Music impression.

Hurricane Ridge
Just under those clouds in the distance is Vancouver Island, Canada. Anytime Elsie would look out at the view she'd say, "What's that out there? Is that Canada?"

Hurricane Ridge
I've been up to Hurricane Ridge before, but it was the first time for Jonah and the kids. We had TRIED to go last November when Jonah's parents came to visit, but we ran out of gas halfway up teh mountian and had to turn around and coast back to town.

Hurricane Ridge
Yea for summer! Thanks for the memories! Sad to see you go....

3 comments:

Dede B said...

"Being pregnant at your age" Give me a break. =) Its not like you are 50. LoL Aja I just love you, you crack me up!

Jonah and Aja said...

When we were getting in the car Elsie said "can we go on another hike?" thats my girl.

Linda said...

What a vista! As I remember it was kind of hazy the day we tried that hike and even that was gorgeous. Love seeing what we missed!