Sunday, March 8, 2009

February and March!

We decided to make our house an "open house" during our town's annual "Parade of Homes" We had two "Parade" houses (out of 25 total in the whole town) in our neighborhood and the exposure was bound to be good. But, that meant we had to move EVERYTHING except the furniture out of the house. I'm trying to forget the whole experience (two weeks of constant moving and cleaning), so let's just say I'm glad that's over. We did have great exposure during the 11-day open house and a few offers, but we ended up taking an offer from a family that saw the house almost three months ago. Luckily they are ready to buy it at the same time that we are REALLY ready to sell it. So, the house is under contract! Yea! We're selling it for less than we expected, and the new family is getting an incredible deal, but we're also so glad to be done with trying to sell this house in this horrible market! Relief! It'll be total elation when it finally closes this week or the next, but I'm feeling that first stage of relief at least. We'll miss this gorgeous house, but we have been through so much in the last year that I'm ready to move on to the next adventure.
We've sold just about everything we can sell, including some of our cars. The photo above and below are of Jonah and Ana's trip to San Jose, California to deliver one of our station wagons to a buyer there. Ana LOVES traveling, even long car rides. Must take after me!

I also threw away a lot of things, which is my favorite apart about moving. I had to get one last photo of my dried wedding bouquet before it became fertilizer.

Since we couldn't really LIVE in our house during the Parade of Homes, we kept only a few suitcases of our stuff here and moved everything else into our enclosed trailer and took it to Jonah's dad's cabin. We have all (except Elsie, who still lives under the stairs) been staying in the casita, which Ana (the hotel manager) calls Hotel de la Casita.... We have a room key and everything. We went to Las Vegas for four days during the first weekend of the "Parade" and then stayed at the Loosli's house next door for five nice days while they were out of town. That made it so much easier, and I had to do hardly any cleaning of our own house. Ana really took advantage of the Parade of Homes and the thousands of cars that passed thru by having a "SALE" out front. She made enough to continue her horse lessons for another month, so she was delighted. Plus, she just LOVES business. Here she is with her "employees" Olivia and Asia from up the street.



Skip forward to March. Jonah and I have both been so intensely busy, we can't believe that neither of us are employed full time! Jonah's been selling everything and fixing up our remaining cars to sell, and I've been consulting with a few local businesses and I even MC'd a fashion show last week! Unfortunately (ha ha) I don't have any photos from that event.
The SADDEST thing this week was when I dropped my iPhone in the toilet as it was flushing and it landed in about an inch of water and instantly died forever! If any of you know me well, you know I live and breath through my iPhone, so it was quite devasting. I'm working through the grief and the three weeks of lost work info I'd failed to back up onto my computer.
Big time OOPS.


SO, I forgot to mention that we are flying to New Zealand on April 1st. Bought the tickets and everything. We'll be there at least until June 26th, unless we can get our long-term visa stuff figured out before June. YEA! We are all pretty excited to say the least. Cam is already having friend withdrawals, but we're hoping he and his friends will survive.

With news of our iminent departure, we got some visitors, including Jonah's dad surprising us last weekend and Jonah's brother Eli and Eli's wife Julie coming this weekend. They've helped us enjoy the beautiful spring weather that's finally showed up.
We spent some time at the Town Center Park where Eli impressed with his leaping, and Elsie did her best to soak her pants in some waterfalls.

In other EXCITING news, Cam lost his first tooth. Here's his new smile!
We'll be moving and packing and working for the next few weeks, but I'll try and get another blog out before we go. Hope to see some of you soon!

9 comments:

Evans Fam said...

WHAT!!! Congrats, and holy cow...you're leaving again. Maybe this time we'll actually get to come visit you in New Zealand! Are you going to be there indefinitely?

Linda said...

FABULOUS to get all this news and see these great pictures! What a couple of months (year) you guys have had! So glad that house is under contract! Remember to take pictures of every nook and cranny of that beautiful house. You are both such great photographers and you'll love having them later more than you realize now! Sure love you. Give those adorable travelers, toothless grins and wet pants kids hugs from us!

The Young Family Inc. said...

WOW! We are so excited for you guys! What a relief! We love you guys so much and are so happy that everything came together.
Thanks for the great pictures. Ricky and I laughed and laughed at little Ana's sale. Where does she get her business savvy heart?!?
Can't wait for more on your adventures!

Eric said...

Talk about a busy family!!! Oh my. I must say the Parade of Homes does not sound like fun. Good exposure yes, but a lot of work! I'm glad your house is almost sold and have fun in New Zealand!!! Keep us all posted on your adventures!

brittanimae said...

Congrats on selling your house!

I'm totally going to be watching you over the next months to see how this whole "let's just do something different" thing works out. The cold up here is driving me crazy, and if you guys offer some inspiration, we might be the next bunch to pack up and move . . . somewhere. Good luck!!

Shawni said...

Claire's gonna be so jealous of that lost tooth! We can't wait to see you guys next week.

sonna said...

our vw station wagon is anxiously awaiting your 10 bags and 5 bodies - bring it on!

Live More Now said...

Wow, lots going on!! Congrats on the SALE of your house - that is craziness. I bet it looked beautiful! And so exciting that you guys are off to New Zealand - that is wonderful. Can't wait to hear about your next adventures. I will be in SLC March 26-29 if by chance you guys are around - where do you fly out of?

xoxo
heather

The Mathews Family said...

I'm so excited to hear that you sold your house - congrats! But...I'm also a little bummed to hear you are leaving our beautiful home of St. George for an even more beautiful home of New Zealand. You'll be missed.